Our Story

History

The Care Center Foundation’s original building was built in 1860, and is considered a historical landmark in Chester County. Our organization, previously known as the Care Center for Christ, was founded in 1982 by Reverend Carl Guthrie and Dr. Gary Cashon. On a corner where drugs and violence were commonly encountered families now find opportunities and hope. 

Transformation

The building on the corner of Matlack and Barnard St, formerly known as the Side Track bar, was purchased in 1987. It was transformed into a place of safety and security for neighborhood families and children. Since then, the Care Center Foundation has been serving families in West Chester since 1982. Responding to the need for childcare and employment assistance, the Care Center continues to provide a continuum of educational and recreational assistance, as well as support to parents of the children
through the Internet Café.

Close Menu